MARCH 4, 2021
We discuss why we decided to go solo, how to determine if going solo is right for you, the pros, cons, risks, and rewards of going solo, what you need to make the leap, and more.
FEBRUARY 25, 2021
We discuss productivity tips, tricks, and techniques, our systems, the challenges that we face, influences, and ways to avoid or eliminate common sources of distraction.
• Atomic Habits
• Getting Things Done
• Eric's Friction List Blog
• Optimize Your Time With The Balanced Calendar
• Zen Habits
• Zen To Done
• The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
• "Seeking the Productive Life: Some Details of My Personal Infrastructure" by Stephen Wolfram
• Uses This
FEBRUARY 18, 2021
We discuss the career opportunities that are available to NetSuite developers, where to find them, and what to look for.
FEBRUARY 11, 2021
An interview with Matt Dahse, Senior Solution Architect at 360 Cloud Solutions. We discuss:
• Starting with design, instead of starting with code.
• Matt's path to NetSuite.
• There's nothing that NetSuite can't do, but there are things it shouldn't do.
• How and why Matt wrote "NetSuite Development With SuiteScript 2.0."
• The benefits of writing a book.
• The importance of understanding the business case for writing code.
FEBRUARY 4, 2021
We discuss "clean" code, including:
• What is "clean" code? (Spoiler: We don't have an answer.)
• Rewrites and Refactors
• Review: Write Code Like a Recipe
• Review: What is Functional Programming?
• In all things, moderation.
• Is "modular" code better?
• Tabs vs. Spaces
JANUARY 28, 2021
We commiserate about SuiteScript in general, and:
• The oft-frustrating API design versus typical CRUD interface.
• Comparing SuiteScript to a typical "MVC" architecture.
• SuiteQL as a better Data Access Layer.
• Closed nature of a very small community.
• The unenviable position of documenting a massive ERP system.
• Encouraged by the improving tools infrastructure.
JANUARY 21, 2021
We discuss anti-patterns, including what they are, and how they apply to our work with SuiteScript. Specifically, The Boat Anchor, Deep Dark Dead Code, Source Control by Filename, The God Object/Swiss Army Knife, The Golden Hammer, Organization by Script Type, High-wire Releases.
JANUARY 14, 2021
An interview with Eric Birdsall, NetSuite Developer and Administrator at Creative Safety Supply. We discuss Eric's journey to NetSuite, how college is not for everyone, psychological burnout, how Worth = Reward - Cost, and signs, causes, and prevention of burnout.
JANUARY 6, 2021
We discuss the concept of commoditization and how it applies to services and software development in particular. How, in the eyes of your buyers, your code and processes don't help to differentiate you from your competitors. How being busy doesn't necessarily mean that you're being successful. How specialization can act as a defense to commoditization, and specialization's numerous additional benefits.
DECEMBER 30, 2020
We look back at 2020 and forward to 2021. What went right, and what went wrong, in our businesses. NetSuite's 2020 developments. Eric's "pivot" and Tim's quest to specialize. And more.
DECEMBER 23, 2020
An interview with Adam Partee, Vice President Business of Development at Maverick Fulfillment, a third-party logistics company. We discuss Maverick's NetSuite-first business strategy, how NetSuite is listening to feedback and improving its WMS offering, some of the shortcomings of the NetSuite WMS (cycle counts, inventory management, supplier integration), and how Adam believes that as a developer, you should learn the business behind your code.
DECEMBER 16, 2020
An interview with Chloë Windahl, Business Systems Administrator and highly motivated NetSuite administrator at Ednetics. We discuss Chloë's background, her path to NetSuite, her passion for motocross, and some "saved search sorcery."
DECEMBER 9, 2020
We discuss the development tools and services that we use - for SuiteScript projects and beyond. What we use to write code. The "official" toolset (WebStorm, SDF, and Jest). Source control. Managing tasks and to-dos. Managing documentation. Third-party libraries. Tim's non-SuiteScript tools/platforms.
DECEMBER 2, 2020
Inspired by Alex Lakatos's "Things I Wish I’d Learned Sooner After Being a Developer for 10 Years," we discuss the importance of soft skills, imposter syndrome and imposters, the importance of continuous learning and exploring, the potential benefits of specializing, strategies for doing deep work, and more.
NOVEMBER 25, 2020
A follow-up to our interview with Chidi Okwudire. We discuss the many possible paths to becoming a SuiteScript developer, the benefits of specialization, the importance of continuous learning, the massive responsibility of customizing an ERP, and more.
NOVEMBER 18, 2020
An interview with Chidi Okwudire, a NetSuite Specialist and Creator of NetSuite Insights.
• Chidi's LinkedIn Profile
• NetSuite Insights
• NetSuite Course Catalog
• NetSuite Course: ERP Fundamentals
• NetSuite Course: Administrator Fundamentals
• NetSuite Course: Exploring the NetSuite Platform
• StrongPoint Automated Testing Webinar
• SuiteCloud Unit Testing
• The Future of CX, Featuring Larry Ellison
• Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI)
• Alexander Hamilton: Writings
Eric is a SuiteScript Strategist who advises development teams on how to build successful, sustainable SuiteScript practices.
Tim develops Web-based solutions for the NetSuite platform.